Locating Irregular Music.

Brought to you by DJ Puxatony Bill

12.3.09

Who watches the Watchmen?




My first post.
I'm just gonna get straight into this and say one word, Watchmen.

I came across the
graphic novel a few years ago in a second-hand bookstore, knowing nothing about it, thinking only that it looked cool. I began reading it on a bench in Big W a few minutes later and didn't put it down until the end of the next day, once I'd finished it. After every issue, I'd stop and go 'holy fuck!'. They're costumed heroes, but they're perverted and fucked up, and that's why it's so awesome. The whole thing meshes together with little excerpts from newspaper clippings and autobigraphies and stuff in every issue, and it's these type of things that make it 'The most celebrated graphic novel of all time'.

I saw the movie on the weekend, and it was the best Hollywood adapatation it could've possibly been. The previews you might've seen on tv are manipulative bullshit, don't walk into the movies expecting another by-the-numbers superhero film, a la Spiderman. Instead, expect rape, Richard Nixon, child abuse, costume-fetishism, and the Cold War. See it just for the opening credits, where you'll hear Bob Dylan's 'The Times They Are A-Changin' appropriately played over a sort-of history lesson of the emergence of costumed 'heroes' in America after World War Two. I don't know how many times I got fucking goosebumps during this movie, but it was a lot. Hell, it even makes a sex scene between two of the heroes, both still in costume, in a flying ship called 'Archie', with Leonard Cohen's 'Hallelujah' (not the Jeff Buckley version, this is creepier) played over the top, fucking sexy in a weird, weird way. I saw the Sunday Herald gave it 5/10. Fuck you Herald.

Go buy the comic.


No comments:

Post a Comment