Locating Irregular Music.

Brought to you by DJ Puxatony Bill

16.4.09

Mirrored Years



Bekay and I
hit up the Museum of Contemporary Art in Sydney yesterday, along with mah Mums and little brother. It was an adventure into the dotted world of the definitely deranged mind of Yayoi Kusama. This sounds lame, but it was fucking incredible. The exhibition of various works of hers is called Mirrored Years, and was downright my favourite art I've ever seen, not that I've seen many exhibitions. Her works range from giant inflatable tentacles, films of her sticking dots on horses, to fluorescent interactive living rooms covered in hundreds of coloured dot-stickers. Seriously, they drag you into these worlds. I'm not being wanky, it is the closest thing to being transported into another dimension.


This was like something out of Alice in Wonderland, cos, you know, it's fucking insane. You can't see it, but there's also lounges to sit down on as well.

I had a huge urge to jump on these.

I wished I could have slept in here.

In my favourite work, Fireflies on the Water (below), instead of simply looking at a painting, you are locked in a room. Here, you are surrounded by mirrors on all sides and the roof, with water covering the entire floor (except the platform you are standing on), and the only illumination in the pitch-black darkness being hundreds of tiny multicoloured lights hanging on and from the ceiling, all multiplied into their thousands by the reflections, literally stretching as far as you can see. And boom! you end up in an alien world, if only for a minute, until you have to leave the room for the next person.

I can liken the surreal experience in two ways;
-closing your eyes after looking at light and seeing all those weird lights while they are closed.
-being dead. I hope so, anyway. It will be great if it is.


Fireflies on the Water


This is a boat, consisting of stuff sprayed silver. I can't remember what though.


pool inflatables.


A few jays beforehand would undoubtedly make it even more surreal. I encourage you to.
When we were leaving, I overheard a gay guy say to his friend, referring to Yayoi, "She must have been a hot bitch back in the day". I'm gonna have to agree with him.
Go go go and check this shit out right now, it runs until June 8th.



!!!Oh yeah, and later we also scoped out the 2009 Art Express exhibition at the New South Wales Art Gallery, which if you don't know, is the best of last year's HSC Art Major Works running until April 19th. Most were fucking great, others were just douchebaggery, but all were stakes through my heart, which is now perpetually black and bleeding because I chose studying Religion over Art in my HSC.

1 comment:

  1. hi ollie,
    oh, yayoi is the best. shes so mental. anyways, how are you doing?? the girl on the cover is actually my friend jen who modeled for me.

    thank you for looking at my stuff and liking it, i never know who looks at it.

    my room is a closet!!!! i need to move out immediately because i never see the day light and i sleep with my knees bent. oh boy.

    speak soon!
    x

    ReplyDelete