Locating Irregular Music.

Brought to you by DJ Puxatony Bill

20.6.09

I waved to Bradford Cox on my way to work yesterday

Brad being all mental illness and stuff.

Yo , so I was walking down Crown St in Surry Hills on my way to work to sell the best damn fruit and vegies in Sydney, yesterday, and who was on the other side of the street tying his shoes....but Bradford Cox the lead singer of Deerhunter of course! So when he looked up, I frantically waved to him like a doped up maniac, my arms were everywhere. At first he thought I was waving to someone behind him so he turned around for a few seconds, then did the "Who me?" thing and pointed at himself. When I just kept waving, because I didn't know what else to do, he just gave a nervous smile, returned the wave, then the lights changed and he kept walking along his side of the street. I think I scared him a bit because I must have looked retarded. I was almost late to work in my girlish excitement, (not to mention I almost pissed my pants) but oh well, I was really happy with the moment. I'm guessing he was checking out the hood and it's colourful sights before his Atlas Sound gig a few hours later in Redfern.

Brad at the gig at Manning Bar last Thursday being normal. Unfortunately.

Bekay and meself saw Bradford (I was also scared if I had the chance to talk to him, whether to call him Bradford or 'Brad') in Deerhunter last Thursday at the Manning Bar, and they were awesome. Save for a kinda boring middle part where I wanted to sit down and the "cute couple" in front were making me want to spew all over them for being so damn cute, the show was great. But I was kind of let down because I kept hoping Bradford was going to do something wacky and go apeshit. Karen O said that seeing Deerhunter was akin to "a religious experience", but I think Karen O lies a bit too much. Though I don't mean the show wasn't incredible. The best part came in the encore, when Bradford finally started chatting to the crowd. He's a fucking funny guy. When he told us that he was mutually dissapointed with our lack of internationally-renowned-rowdy-Aussie-behaviour he'd heard so much about (that sounds ridiculously wanky but I am too dumb right now to think of another description) , it made me feel bad. I realised that we were treating each other almost like freakshows, and felt that we needed to put on a show for him, as much as he did for us. I think if we as a crowd were crazier, the band would have been too. Dammit, we should've taken our shirts off and moshed and shit. When Bradford asked what final song we wanted to hear, somebody shouted out 'Operation', so they ended with that, even though he jokingly told us we had "wasted" our last song because I'm guessing he doesn't like the song. Deerhunter are playing again tonight at the Annandale hotel. It's too late to tell you to go I suppose, cos it is probably sold out, but fuck it, GO NOW!

I'm rambling now, and shit!! should be getting ready to head to Bekay's apartment to get drunk and krunk before we head to Oxford Arts to see Classixx. I'm going to miss my motherfucking train!!! again.

No comments:

Post a Comment